To obtain a marriage license in Van Buren County, apply at the County Clerk’s Office, at the Courthouse, 212 Paw Paw Street, MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED FROM 8:30 AM UNTIL 4:30 PM.
1. Men and women 18 years of age and older may contract marriage in Michigan without parents consent.
2. For purposes of marriage application, residency is determined by a current valid driver’s license/state-issued ID with current address listed:
· If one, or both persons is a Michigan resident they apply in the county where either applicant lives. This license is valid throughout the state.
· If both persons are out-of-state residents, they must apply in the county where they plan to be married. The license is valid in that county only.
3. The following is required of BOTH PERSONS at the time of application:
· Valid driver’s license/state issued I.D. showing correct address
· Certified copy of Birth Certificates
Other required information includes:
Full name of each person
Birth dates and place of birth (city & state)
Complete address (no P.O. Boxes)
How many times previously married
Social Security Numbers
Parents full birth names
Parents STATES of birth
4. Fee per couple: $20.00 for Van Buren County residents; $30.00 for Out-of-state residents.
Payments can only be accepted by cash or credit/debit card.
1. The marriage license becomes valid on the 3rd day following application.
2. The marriage must be solemnized within 33 days of application.
3. County Clerk’s Office is located in the Courthouse, 212 Paw Paw Street, 1st floor.
telephone: (269) 657-8218.
4. Persons 16 and 17 years of age must show a certified copy of their birth certificate. Written consent of one parent or legal guardian, who must appear at the time of application, will be required. A driver’s license or photo ID of the consenting parent is required. If parents are divorced, custodianship must be proven and a driver’s license or photo ID must be shown by the custodial parent.
5. Additional information or documentation may be required before this office will complete the marriage license application.
The County Clerk performs wedding ceremonies on Friday afternoons by appointment. The fee is $25.00. The couple must provide two witnesses who are 18 years of age or older.