Home  County Government  Elected Officials  Register of Deeds  Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Can you prepare my document or give me the forms to use?

No, the Register of Deeds does not prepare any legal document, nor do we give legal advice. Some forms may be obtained from an office supply store. If you need assistance, please contact an attorney, title company or real estate agent.

Do you furnish abstracts/titles to property?


What payment methods do you accept?

For recording documents: cash or check For copies of documents: cash, check, or credit card if purchased online (Please include a self addressed stamped envelope with your request or recording.)

Can I record a fax or a copy of a document?

No, only documents with original signatures can be recorded.

Can I record a TRUE COPY court document?

No. Court documents must be certified with the court seal to be recorded. Death certificates must be certified with the Clerk's seal.

Can you fax or e-mail me a copy of a recorded document?

We can fax, email, or mail copies of documents.

The cost for copies is $1.00 per page. Please include a self addressed stamped envelope if we are mailing back to you.

We accept cash, check and credit cards (Credit Cards are for copies only at this time. See Credit Card Payment Link on Register of Deeds Tool Bar. Follow Link to GovPayNow.net) All charges are paid in advance of the service.

Do you have standard document requirements?

Yes, see Recording Requirements.

Can I get documents through the Freedom of Information Act?

No, all documents in this office are public information or covered by state statute. The copy fees for documents are set by state statute.

Who can get a copy of my deed?

Anyone can. Once your document is recorded, it is public record.

What is the purpose of recording a document and what do you do with it?

The purpose of recording is to make a public record of the transaction. Your document(s) are scanned and indexed for the permanent record. Microfilm copies are made, local units of government are notified of land transfers, and the recording information/ images are made available to the public. The original document is returned to whoever sent it in.

When will you record my document and what do you do with the document after recording?

We record and return the document within 1-2 days of receipt as long as it meets the recording requirements. The document is returned to whoever sent or brought the document to us. If the document came to us through an attorney/bank/title agency, etc. it is up to them when they return it to you.

When was my house built?

We can't answer that. We only deal with land records. Check with your township, city, village or the State Archives.

Do you have a survey of my property?

Only if it has been surveyed and recorded. The majority of property has not been.

Do you have or record mortgage surveys?


How can I find out who owns certain property?

Go to the online Property Search, click on "Begin Search" under Public Users. You can search by name, address or parcel number. This will show you the taxpayer of record.

Why is there a 2-1/2 inch top margin requirement?

The state passed a law on April 1, 1997 that requires a 2-1/2 inch top margin and ½ inch on all other sides. This is to allow room for the recording information, stamps, etc.

Does the marital status have to be shown on documents?

The marital status of males must be shown on documents that encumber or convey property, such as deeds and mortgages. Please check our "Recording Requirements" link to see which documents require marital status.

Does the document need to be witnessed and notarized?

Documents no longer require witnesses. Most documents require notarization. Please check our "Recording Requirements" link to see which documents require a notary.

What documents have to be tax certified?

Warranty Deeds, Land Contracts/ Assignments and Master Deeds required a tax certificate from the Treasurer’s Office. Please check our "Recording Requirements".

Will you record a copy of a death certificate?

We will record a County Clerk certified copy (with embossed seal) of a death certificate.

I've paid off my mortgage. How can I get a copy of my deed?

When you pay off your mortgage, you should receive a Discharge, Release or Satisfaction of Mortgage. You should have received your deed when you first purchased the property. If you do not have your deed, you can get a certified copy at the Register of Deeds office.