Van Buren County Treasurer
The office of the County Treasurer is a Constitutional office as established by the Constitution of the State of Michigan. The duties of the County Treasurer are established by law and authorized by the Board of Commissioners.
The main duties of the County Treasurer are as follows:
- Custodian of the County Funds
- Receipt of all money received by the county
- Investment of surplus funds
- Maintenance of the General Ledger
- Property Tax AdministrationPreparation of tax roll
- Computer Support for Townships, Villages & Cities
- Collection of Summer taxes for South Haven School District
- Audit of Principal Residence Exemptions
- Collection of Delinquent Taxes
- Foreclosure and sale of property for delinquent taxes
- Sale of Dog Licenses
Karen Makay was first elected Van Buren County Treasurer in November 1996, serving since January 1, 1997. As County Treasurer, Karen serves as Chairman of the Van Buren County Remonumentation Committee as well as serving as a member of the County Plat Board, Elections Commission, Building Authority and Technology Committee. Karen has served both as President and co-chair of the Legislative Committee for the Michigan Association of County Treasurers.
Tax Sale Link
Property Tax Information Search
This page last updated on 3/9/2015.